Written by Nate Dodson. Follow me on Twitter.
When you’ve got a lot of stuff, your possessions own you – you don’t own them.
Getting rid of all the crap that is cluttering your life and mind brings freedom. The major burdens of cleaning, maintenance, moving, and purchasing begin to fade. Life gets easier.
Are you ready to downsize?
Because it’s time my friend.
It’s time for you to take charge and decide on a strategy for getting rid of your stuff. Here are 18 different strategies/ideas you can employ to being getting rid of the majority of your stuff asap:
- move into an RV
- move into a smaller house/apartment
- purchase a tiny home or build your own
- go backpacking/couchsurfing for a year, sell everything that doesn’t fit in a backpack
- have a huge yardsale
- learn to travel the world with no luggage
- put everything you want to keep in one room in your house, then take a couple weeks to get rid of the rest of the crap.
- move across the country without renting a moving truck
- one room at a time
- burn everything in a bonfire in your backyard
- sell valuable stuff on ebay, donate the rest
- take the 100 things challenge
- put everything in storage for a year, go get something if you REALLY need it – after one year get rid of the rest of the stuff.
- throw a huge party, let your friends take something home they like
- become a digital nomad location independent lifestyle designing nunomad
- get rid of one thing a day for a year
- start with furniture, go from there
- take my free Minimalist in a Month e-course
If you enjoyed this list, please tweet the hell out of it!(photo by K2D2vaca)